Saturday, November 15, 2008

Horsin' Around




For the past few years now we have spent many of our Saturdays horseback riding at a nearby ranch. I feel EXTREMELY fortunate that we have this particular ranch so close to our house. We have several different ranches in our city as well as in the surrounding cities close by. I LOVE horsebackriding ! I have ever since my Girl Scout Troop went to a stable in Newport beach and took riding lessons after we raised enough money from selling girl scout cookies. Then a few years after that my aunt and uncle bought a house with some horse stalls and owned a few horses for a handful of years. So everytime we went to visit I remember spending hours riding and just being in HEAVEN. It is such a great childhood memory for me.
So every Saturday I get my horse fill by taking the girls to a wonderful place called the H.E.L.P ranch. The letters stand for Handicapped Equestrian Learning Program. It is owned by a WONDERFUL elderly man named "Pete" . He is a very generous and compassionate man that has been offering his services for over 30 years. He started horsebackriding in the special olympics at one time with his beloved wife. She has since passed but he keeps it going and does such a great service for the special needs community in our area. He has a HUGE heart and therefore does it by optional donation only ! I feel so lucky to have this in my own community. It is strickly run by volunteers who are wonderfully patient and compassionate. The girls are always thrilled to go ( don't be fooled by their serious expressions :0)and it is an especially great activity for Madison. She keeps getting better and better about riding. She gets SO excited when she gets up on the loading ramp to get hoisted onto the horse. She continually gets better about holding onto the saddle. I am so thrilled my girls are loving it as much as I am :0).

3 comments:

rebecca said...

Yay! You're posting again!

What a great program. I bet Madison just eats it up! I can imagine her excitement. I think it's so awesome you can share the joy and love of horseback riding with your girls.

Pete is awesome! We need more people like him in this crazy world.

Jen said...

WELCOME BACK!!!! :)

I've missed you, but obviously haven't gotten around to typing an email to you - sorry.

I think it is great that you have a fun family activity to do each weekend - how fun, and they will have such fond memories of doing it with you!!!

You are such an awesome mom!!!

Love ya!

AmyJune said...

I didn't know that you used to go horseback riding. What a great activity for your family. Keep on posting!!!!