Monday, October 29, 2007

Minivan Mama !


So the time has finally come. A few weeks ago ( maybe even a month now !) Jake and I took a big step and finally bought the dreaded minivan. To be perfectly honest, I have been ready for one for over a year now. But that is not to say that that was always the "PLAN". Back in August of 1998 as we were on our second or third date we were laughing about the whole minivan stage of life and both SWORE that we were never going to be minivan owners. Nope, we both agreed that we were definately more SUV type people ! We had this discussion before we even talked about getting married ( even though we both knew that there was something great happening ). We happen to be having this discussion because our dates always entailed a white Ford Astrovan Minivan that was Jakes mode of transportation at the time. He was working in Costa Mesa for Airborne Express and had been given this hideous van as a company car. It served its purpose but was definately not a "chick magnet" by any means.
So what is this fine vehicle of choice you might ask ? Well it is a brand new 2007 Slate Green ( I refer to it as Pewter Gray ) Honda Odyssey EX-L ( because we decided leather was a MUST with our kiddos !). I have been admiring them from afar and at last have one of my own. I have to say though, I thought for sure that my first drive home in it would be filled with excitement and joy , but was surprised to feel mixed emotions when actually owning one. I had this brief feeling of sorrow for the death of the "young mom " had come. But thankfully by the time I got home, I had happily embraced the "soccer mom" image . Who couldn't embrace it with all that the minivan has to offer these days. The automatic doors, the in-floor storage, the fold down seats, the built in sunshades , and all of the sudan like ammenities! The convenience and space are well worth it ! I no longer dread the thought of a family roadtrip . ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM ... because we got the room !

2 comments:

Bethany said...

ahhh ... yeah for new cars this year! I understand the mini-van dread, but really its all about taking care of the family! So fun!

You are a great story-teller sis - and you thought you were the only Johnson that didn't have "the gift"! I love all the side notes!

Kate said...

You go girl! Don't worry, you haven't lost your edge.