Sunday, October 7, 2007

Moorpark Funky Days !


So this weekend I decided that I would show a little Moorpark "pride" and take the girls to what is called "Moorpark Country Days". So I packed up all of the goodies that I needed for a typical outing and off the four of us went ( the fourth person being my babysitter, Vanessa , since Jake usually is working on the weekends.) I had high hopes for this so called "Country Days". I was envisioning pony rides, carnival booths, cotton candy and maybe even a little petting zoo. As well as lots of bushels of hay spread about to give it that country feel . To my dismay there were no pony rides ( although they did have a horse drawn carriage circling surrounding streets... not sure how much that would've cost though!) There were a few small vending trailers that were serving soft serve icecream and other carnival type treats . There were about 4 or 5 carnival game booths, 3 or 4 Huge bouncy houses ( that satisfied Brooklyn for a measily 7 minutes that I purchased for $2... Worth it though). There was a parade that was anything but impressive and I had to laugh at the several people that brought their beach chairs and probably came early to get a front row seat for the festive feel a parade usually creates. But overall I left ( after about 90 minutes ) feeling disappointed that the city that I have grown to love was so lowsy with their festivities. I did not feel the sense of Moorpark pride that I was expecting from those around me. I did not feel the cozy country feel that I was envisioning these past 5 years from the long time locals. I hear stories all the time about how the town started and how the roads were not even paved and the 23 freeway did not even exist until about 15 years ago. I am thinking that they are going to need to change the name in the future to avoid being misleading . The only thing I can think of that comes to mind is " Moorpark Funky Days" because that sums it all up.
So what did I get out of it all ? An hour and a half with my girls and an affirmation that next year when I want to feel the good ole down home feel of being in the Country here in Moorpark, I should just head to one of the local farms that are already set up year round with pony rides, petting zoos and home grown crops for sale. That is the genuine Country part that I love about Moorpark .

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Aww, I know the feeling! I hate being let down like that! Maybe this weekend you can take the girls to a pumpkin patch ... I think I am going this weekend to pick out a pumpkin and get in the fall mood. The leaves are starting to change, so it feels a bit more like October.

AmyJune said...

Good thing we didn't go.

Shelly said...

Sounds about like our "Pony Express Days" here in Eagle Mountain (which doesn't include anything to do with the actual pony express that's just what they call it). At least they try though, huh?